The faculty steering committee, appointed by the Chancellor, and including both the Chancellor and Provost as members, selected eleven unique courses combining the Science and Engineering disciplines with the Humanities and Arts with the first course taught in Fall Quarter 2020.
The courses are taught as First-Year Seminars and as University Honors Program courses. The Mondavi Center assists the faculty in identifying a performing artist to connect to the course topic. Each selected artist is actively engaged with the students through residency activities throughout the quarter. Each individual SHAPE course culminates with a public performance at the Mondavi Center, bringing student learning opportunities to a diverse audience.
The courses are housed in a diverse range of departments across all four Colleges and the School of Veterinary Medicine.
Please find links to the individual course titles with their associated faculty co-teaching teams' home departments listed by quarter the courses are taught in below.
- Fall Quarter 2020
- 'Transforming Exclusion to Expression: Gender & Race in Climate Science' , Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences & Department of Theatre and Dance
- Winter Quarter 2021
- 'Creative Visualization of Science', Department of Physics & Department of Art and Art History
- Spring Quarter 2021
- 'Envisioning Climate Futures', Department of Plant Sciences & Department of English
- Fall Quarter 2021
- 'Creative Process in the Arts & Sciences: Parallels and Intersections', Department of Psychology & Department of Theatre and Dance
'Radical Storywork: Performing Food Sovereignty through Inuit Fermentation Culture', Department of Food Science and Technology & Department of Native American Studies
'Slow Listening: The Art & Science of Performative Speech', Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior & Department of Performance Studies/Writing Program
- Winter Quarter 2022
- 'Searching for Sustainability through Entropic Forces & Collective Actions', Department of Biomedical Engineering & Department of Asian American Studies
'Enhancing the Body: Wearables of the Future', Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior & Department of Design
'Physics & Music', Department of Physics & Department of Music
- Spring Quarter 2022
- 'Problem Solving: How to Respond to the World in a Time of Crisis', Department of Veterinary Medicine & Department of English
'Promoting Trans-Disciplinary Scholars for the California of the 21st Century', Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior & Department of Chicana/o Studies