Our Mellon Foundation grant allowed for the development and teaching of eleven unique courses combining the Science and Engineering disciplines with the Humanities and Arts with the first course taught in Fall Quarter 2020. The final courses were taught in Spring Quarter 2022.
The Mondavi Center assists the faculty in identifying a performing artist to connect to the course topic. Each selected artist was engaged with the students through residency activities throughout the quarter. Each individual SHAPE course culminated with a public performance at the Mondavi Center, bringing student learning opportunities to a diverse audience.
The courses were housed in a diverse range of departments across all four Colleges and the School of Veterinary Medicine.
Past courses are posted here:
- Fall Quarter 2020
- 'Transforming Exclusion to Expression: Gender & Race in Climate Science' , Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences & Department of Theatre and Dance
- Winter Quarter 2021
- 'Creative Visualization of Science', Department of Physics & Department of Art and Art History
- Spring Quarter 2021
- 'Envisioning Climate Futures', Department of Plant Sciences & Department of English
- Fall Quarter 2021
- 'Creative Process in the Arts & Sciences: Parallels and Intersections', Department of Psychology & Department of Theatre and Dance
'Radical Storywork: Performing Food Sovereignty through Inuit Fermentation Culture', Department of Food Science and Technology & Department of Native American Studies
'Slow Listening: The Art & Science of Performative Speech', Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior & Department of Performance Studies/Writing Program
- Winter Quarter 2022
- 'Searching for Sustainability through Entropic Forces & Collective Actions', Department of Biomedical Engineering & Department of Asian American Studies
'Physics & Music', Department of Physics & Department of Music
- Spring Quarter 2022
- 'Enhancing the Body: Wearables of the Future', Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior & Department of Design
'Problem Solving: How to Respond to the World in a Time of Crisis', Department of Veterinary Medicine & Department of English
'Promoting Trans-Disciplinary Scholars for the California of the 21st Century', Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior & Department of Chicana/o Studies.